NeSmith Immigration Attorneys, LLC

Immigration and nationality Law

Where can I get more information about the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)?

TN Visa

Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), certain citizens of Canada and Mexico are eligible to enter the US under the nonimmigrant TN status. The TN Visa enables Canadian and Mexican citizens to temporarily work in U.S. in a NAFTA-approved professional occupation.

The following are the requirements to be eligible for the TN Visa:

The profession be on the NAFTA list.
The foreign national must possess the necessary training for that profession.
The proposed position must be classified as a professional position.
The foreign national must work for a US employer.
Spouses and/or unmarried children under the age of 21 are eligible to enter the U.S. under the derivative TD visas. Family members are not required to be Canadian or Mexican citizens, and are eligible to remain in the U.S. for the duration of the TN Visa holder’s stay. They may either accompany the TN Visa holder to the U.S. or come at a later time.


Canadian applicants may apply for the TN Visa either at a port of entry or at a preclearance station and must provide the following information:

Proof of Canadian citizenship.
A offer of employment letter from the sponsoring employer detailing the duties to be performed.
Copies of all relevant college degrees and employment records. This data should prove the applicant is sufficiently qualified for the proposed position.
A processing fee of $50
Mexican citizens must apply for the TN visa at a U.S. Consulate and must provide the following information:

A valid passport
Visa Application form
Letter of employment from a U.S. employer indicating the position and why the position requires a professional
Evidence that the applicant is a professional


We Can Help You With

Immigration Updates

RSS Error: This XML document is invalid, likely due to invalid characters. XML error: Attribute without value at line 4, column 153